- 240g/one tin of Haricot Beans (drained weight )
- 100g thick smoked bacon lardons
- half a white onion
- one clove of garlic
- 30g of tomato puree
- 10g of Muscavado sugar
- 3 cloves
- 5g of English mustard powder
- 400g / tin of chopped tomatoes
- 10g of treacle
- 15g of sweet smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- On a high heat caramelise the bacon in a saucepan, when golden brown add the onion and garlic and continue to cook until translucent.
- When the onion and garlic are cooked thoroughly add the the tomato puree, cloves, sugar, treacle mustard powder and paprika.
- Cook for a further five minutes on a medium heat until dark red in colour. Then, add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the haricot beans well before adding them to the pan, stir well and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve.
- Or why not crack an egg on top and bake in the oven for 8 minutes (en cocotte style)