Ear-shaped orecchiette is often served with cime di rapa sprout tops in Italy, but it works well with cavolo nero or any other brassica.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 75ml olive oil, plus a little extra to serve
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g cavolo nero, stalks removed and discarded
- 375g orecchiette
- 40g pecorino, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan on a low heat. Add the crushed garlic and cook for three minutes before adding the cavolo nero. Season and add 100ml of water.
- Cook for five minutes until the cavolo nero has softened, then transfer to a blender and blitz to a smooth purée.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a cupful of the cooking water, and return it to the saucepan along with the cavolo nero purée. Toss together until combined, adding a little of the cooking water to loosen the sauce.
- Check the seasoning and finish with the pecorino and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve immediately.